Monday, July 30, 2007

July 23rd


Lordy, more cars, rickshaws, scooters, people and vendors are converged on each street corner together than one could imagine. It seems that even a slip of paper couldn’t fit between some of these vehicles and/or people. And everyone honks! I hire a rickshaw after a couple of hours, just to see if I can find that little store, but to no avail. Finally, it is all too much and I hail a taxi. OK, not really hail. Actually, there are about 15 just waiting for someone to jump in. The driver has three long red fingernails, which reminds me of an interesting PBS special I’d seen a number of years ago about Indian men. He says I should go to Bhaktapur tomorrow where it is quiet and there is no pollution. “How much”? I ask, having already been taken once. “1000 Rs”. When I get back to my sweet place, I ask Tashi (yes, a different Tashi) about the price. He looks surprised and asks where did I find such an honest taxi driver?

Another delicious dinner for 150 Rs – about $2.00 or so and back to my room where the electricity goes off again at 6 pm for about 2 hours. I light a couple of candles and get out my trusty headlamp. Turns out that the electricity is off every Sunday and Monday night from 6 – 8 pm. Rather nice actually!

No comments: