Monday, July 30, 2007

July 22nd—Sunday


It’s a strange thing to be traveling around this very different part of the world by myself, negotiating airports, hotel rooms and maps (which I’m usually not very good with). Turning 60 seems to have opened the door to previously untold adventures that, truly, I never thought I wanted! What I thought I wanted was Paris, outdoor cafes, fine wines, creamy and rich cheeses, vineyards, museums and a quaint apartment on some romantic street. We were all going to go the Loire Valley for heaven’s sakes.

But here I am feeling like I’m in the lap of luxury because I have a real toilet and my very own shower and clean vegetarian food 15 steps away. I still feel dirty – like the dust and dirt are in my bones and deep in my skin. I asked the lovely Nepalese woman on the plane this morning if women in Nepal got pedicures. She assured me that they did. And I hear there is a spa somewhere in town. I want to be steamed cleaned!

Right off the bat, I got scammed by the taxi driver – 1000 Rs to get here. Oh well, it’s only about $20 dollars or so. Stopped at a travel agent to try to delay my departure, but no luck, not unless I want to spend another $1800.00. So, I have 10 days here and it’s just enough.

It is beautiful and peaceful here. The monastery is so close that I can hear the prayers, chantings and horn blowing of the monks throughout the day and early evening. The staff are delightful, and the food is absolutely delicious!

As I wander outside the monastery gates for the first time, I am transported into the world of the magnificent Boudhanath Stupa. The bumpy, dirt alleys that take me there are dotted with puddles of water, cows, skinny dogs, scooters and bicycles. I take note of every turn and curve to make sure I don’t get lost on the way back. I pass tiny shops with men sitting on the floor hammering out the base of some new statue, countless food and vegetable stands, textiles, prayer flags – you name it!

No comments: