Sunday, July 29, 2007

July 19th


Same place for lunch again. I had my shrimp salad. We all have the delicious cappuccino. You might wonder why we would eat in a western restaurant instead of the many wonderful Chinese choices. We think we have found a way to curtail the constant water retention from all the salt in Chinese food. So, now we have only one Chinese meal per day. Of course, now I have to admit that tonight we will go to the same restaurant we did last night and I will have the exact same thing-the best shrimp ever! It comes on skewers and is a cross between crawfish and shrimp. It has some kind of very mild honey, soy sauce coating and is heaped with tiny chopped hot peppers (which I leave for Jeffrey!). A side dish of sautéed cabbage is perfect and an ice-cold beer makes the hot taste bearable. We try our best to give sign language for cold beer. It never works. Finally, someone who speaks English will walk over and interpret. I am convinced now that sign language is not a universal means of communicating, not here.

We grab a taxi and head for Kumbum Monastery, where we first stayed upon our arrival. Jeffrey wants to go shopping and it’s a wonderful Tibetan market. He finds his treasures, Tashi buys a bright golden orange scarf for his wife and I find a wonderful treasure for next to nothing. It’s a cloudy, rainy day and I’m grateful for my hiking boots and umbrella.

No comments: